Before you start a company, you need to have a company business plan. A company…
The Film Business Plan: Picture Success!
The entrepreneur who owns a film production company has likely been through the business plan development process at least once. However, this particular type of business is a bit different than most other businesses because each film project is likely to need investors. That means a unique film business plan is required each time a new film is produced.
Designing a Successful Film Business Plan
Needless to say the production company owner has a lot riding on the quality of the film business plan. Investors interested in funding films do so only when a solid business plan contains the elements of a successful film production, like a well-written script, experienced crew members, and good starring talent
The film industry is very competitive, meaning potential investors expect the producer to have a detailed production, marketing, and distribution plan, among other success factors. Investors will look for:
• Product: Tested script – The script is a crucial component of the final product – the film. It should be read multiple times by a variety of people, including actors and producers, to test interest and quality, and to get an assessment as to whether the anticipated costs match the complexity of the script.
• Shooting schedule – The shooting schedule not only influences the film budget, it impacts the timeframe investors can expect to get a return on their investment.
• Distribution plan – This section describes the process used to distribute the film and how distribution rights are designed. There are many possible distribution channels today, including pay-per-view, big-screen theaters, cable companies, DVD, and others.
• Marketing plan – It takes careful and inspired marketing to target the population segment most likely to appreciate the film. In this case, marketing will address how the film compares to other films of the same genre, the advertising and marketing strategies developed, the cost of marketing, and so on.
• Financial plan – The financial plan includes the cost of producing the film, but the entrepreneur must find a way to project revenues. One strategy is to determine the amount of sales made through distribution rights. Another strategy is to review what similar films generated in revenue. Resources like Box Office Mojo and Hollywood Reporter provide data concerning box office grosses.
Specific to the Industry
The film marketing plan includes the standard sections like the Executive Summary, Company Description, Management Summary, Operations Plan, Marketing Plan, and Financial Plan. However, it also needs to include the information specific to the film industry, like the film summary and film industry overview.
There are many investors willing to fund new creative entrepreneurs, if the film package is based on a solid business plan. Contact OGS Capital for assistance with development of the film business plan that can be used to apply for private investments, loans or grants, and crowdfunding. The business consultants at OGS Capital have the expertise needed to prepare a high-quality film package and a network of investor contacts. Fill in the short online contact form to get started.
Download Sample From Here
To start a conversation with our team, fill in the form.A business plan consultant with relevant expertise will contact you shortly.