Developing an agriculture business plan is one of the most important steps a business owner can take. It is a map for success in the agricultural industry because it explains the business development process and programs for economic sustainability. The business plan is also critical to obtaining funding needed to invest in the agricultural land, equipment, and livestock or crop supplies. Since agriculture businesses are subject to high climate related risks, the operational and financial sections of the business plan will be closely scrutinized to determine adequate insurance and alternate programs are in place should disaster strike.
Agricultural Business Plan
The world is in need of many more efficient and productive agricultural operations. A high quality business plan will attract investors who want to play a role in meeting market needs for food production and textile raw materials as the population grows. However, many questions must be answered about the startup, including the following:
- Is there adequate agricultural land already owned or will it need to be purchased?
- What type of product will be produced – food, raw materials, livestock, or other?
- Do the business owners have experience in the agriculture industry?
- Is this a joint venture?
- What are the production resources? Who are the suppliers?
- Are legal and financial risk management strategies developed?
- Is adequate agricultural insurance budgeted and does it cover all major and likely risks?
- How will agricultural products be sold?
- Is there a plan for managing drought?
- Was business succession scheduling taken into consideration?
- What agricultural technology will be used to increase production?
- Are there patented products and have all patents been applied for or approved?
Of course, it is impossible to predict every single problem that may occur over the years, but business contingency scheduling is critical in the agricultural industry since it is subject to the whims of nature. Another feature of this type of enterprise, not always applicable to many other businesses, is the fact funding is available from both private and public sources. The financial management plan should address all expected sources of funding, including private lenders and government loans and grants. In additions, the market for the goods and services must be clearly defined. For example, many agricultural products are exported to foreign markets? If that applies, how will the agricultural goods be safely transported?
OGS Capital helps agricultural business startups work through the many details associated with preparation and developing a new operation. It is too easy for someone working alone to miss important details that can serve as selling points to investors. Completing the simple contact form will put you in contact with an OGS Capital professional who can help you develop and write the quality agriculture business ideas and assist with finding funding.
20 Highly Profitable Agricultural Business Ideas
If you are an entrepreneur willing to start agriculture business, the following 20 agriculture business ideas can come in handy for your business venture.
- Growing Mushrooms: Mushroom is a very popular Unlike various other crops, mushrooms can grow in less than a month. It is ready to be harvested in just about 21 days. This is the reason mushrooms have a high profit margin. Often new entrepreneurs are restless to harvest and sell their crops. So, if you too are one such impatient entrepreneur then mushrooms won’t make your wait too long to be ready. You can sell them in 3 weeks time from d date of cultivation.
- Mushroom farming comprises of 6 stages- first you need to compost; next spawn; case; pin and finally crop it.
- The soil of your farming land must be suitable for growing mushrooms. If this suits your soil then this is the best crop to grow. Some soils only support specific mushroom cultivation. The environment also plays a significant factor.
- You can aim to sell the produce in the local markets and also trade them. There are various countries that use mushrooms in their everyday meals. If your land in near such countries, where mushrooms are a favorite among the masses, then this is the best crop to cultivate in your farming land. Also, the convenience of export can take your mushroom business to far off markets as well.
- Potato Farming: This is a very common vegetable. Yet, you should consider this as potato cultivation is greatly rewarding in many ways. Potato is consumed in meals almost daily by people both at home as well as in canteens. It is yummy, simple and very nutritious. The demand for potato is so high that even if there are other near-by farming areas growing potatoes, you still can produce it and benefit largely.
- There are a large variety of potatoes, so check the soil and the market, in order to decide which potato you should cultivate in your land. You can opt for the sweet potatoes or Irish potato farming. They are quite popular across the globe. Furthermore, they can be sold as vegetables directly and can also be sold in the processed form.
- You can choose bulk potato farming and process them if you have the capital and equipment. Potato chips and French fries are savory snacks loved by all. You can never go wrong with potato business as it ensures a high profit margin.
- You can also choose to sell potato seeds. This is an excellent money-spinning business idea. Get in touch with local, national and international potato cultivators to sell potato seed tubes and make a flourishing agriculture business out of it.
- Spice Production: With the widespread knowledge about the health benefits hidden in various spices, household cooking as well as commercial restaurants have started using spices in their food in daily basis around the world. Furthermore, the boost in flavor and the pleasant aroma that come from adding spices to cuisines has made spices a favorite ingredient in the kitchen. The high demand and being a very costly product, spices are a great option for agriculture business. Spice cultivation can churn a lot of money making farming a flourishing business opportunity.
- There are a large variety of spices available such as cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, cumin, etc. You have a lot of agriculture farming options when it comes to spices.
- You can choose to start farming the spice as per the popularity in your locality.
- Spices can be used in food either whole, sun dried, powdered, paste or even in liquid form. You can sell the whole spice. You can also extract the oils from the spices and sell it in bottles.
- You can plan to grow either a single type of spice or multiple ones depending on your soil. There are different spices that grow in different seasons. You can also opt to grow a spice rarely cultivated in your state and reap huge profits.
- Cashew nut agriculture production: Cashew nuts a type of dry fruit that is widely popular across the globe. It is consumed mostly as a savory snack with salt and other spices. You can sell them raw, as well as in processed form. Cashew nut processing entails 4 simple stages. It starts with cleaning the nuts, they roasting them, followed by drying and finally removing the peel.
- Cashew nuts are highly nutritious, boosts energy and fiber in the body. Hence, demand for cashew nuts is quite high globally. You can earn huge capital by producing cashew nuts in your farm land.
- Processed cashew nut sale can get you high profits if you can ally with wholesalers near your land and draw in a fixed cashew nut supply. Wholesalers will sell you the raw cashew nuts at a low cost. You can process the cashew and make profit.
- The medicinal value of cashew nuts has made cashew nut farming a highly lucrative business.
- Poultry farming: Chicken is the particular poultry bird raised to the highest number. Gone are the days when households had a few chickens in their backyard to serve their need for eggs and meet. Currently, poultry farming is a huge money-making business that has made its mark internationally. Poultry farming being a lucrative venture has led to the birds being injected with harmful chemicals and are reared in large number without proper hygiene. This has resulted in the rise in demand for good quality poultry farms. This can be your opportunity to grab. Strategize to start an excellently well-maintained poultry farm business to give the masses the best quality eggs and meat.
- Eggs and meat being a high source of protein have notched a vital place in the dietary charts for good health. This has made people from all walks of life add eggs to their breakfast and consume a portion of meat regularly. Hence, a magnificent rise in the sales of poultry farms.
- Another way of making gains through poultry farming is selling frozen chicken. You would needs some additional tools and storage facilities incorporated in your farm for this sort of business. Get in touch with the local eateries, fast-food joints, restaurants and hotels to deliver them- frozen chicken. This can be a profitable venture when you have some good contacts established.
- Bee-Keeping and Honey-Making Business: Producing honey by keeping bees in the garden was a personal choice earlier. People passionate about making honey who had a little space in their backyard kept bees. But now, it has turned out to become a huge farming industry that a large number of entrepreneurs take interest in pursuing as an agriculture endeavor. With the heightened honey consumption worldwide, the sales margin has also increased drastically. This has drawn more entrepreneurs in bee farming. The reason for such rise in the demand for honey is because people are switching to honey intake instead of sugar. Honey has been proved very healthy, helps in losing weight and is also used in beauty products.
If you desire to start agriculture business, then this is one of the best choices. Bee-keeping does not require a large farming land nor do you need to invest huge capital. All you require is- some knowledge and training on the basics of keeping bees for agriculture business. There are training schools and experts who teach how to start a honey producing business and also how bees should be monitored. Furnished with such skillful training you can conveniently start farming and run a bee-keeping and honey making business.
If you produce honey in your farming area, you can have several prospective clients to sell, such as-
- Sell it to high net-worth person,
- There are hard-working people, fitness conscious people who prefer honey to sugar
- You can buy low-priced top quality honey from dealers, bottle it up and sell it in the market, both in the local as well as global arena.
- Herb and Flower Plantation: The best part about herbs and flower plantation is that they can be grown in small quantities. You do not need any skills or expertise to grow them. They can be grown indoors as well as outdoors. Moreover, both hers and flower plants have multiple usages. You can even do a profitable business with dry herbs and flowers. Both are easy to grow, high in demand and lucrative ventures. Furthermore, you can grow both herbs and flowers in the same farming land. Yes, you will need some appropriate apparatus for good quality plantation results. Adequate water supply, proper sunshine, manure and right method must be followed too.
Herbs have a wide range of usages-
- They are a central ingredient in flavoring food
- Used for making beautiful fragrances
- Is majorly bought by the Pharma company
- Are also used in healing centers to help people relax and loose there stress
Flowers too have multiple usages-
- There are edible flowers used in cakes and various cuisines
- They are used in beauty products, to make lipsticks, nail-polish, hair color and so on
- Several fragrances and extracted from flowers, rose, lavender, orchid being popular blooms. In fact, dry flowers are majorly bought by the fragrance company.
- Extensively used for decorating venues
- Flower bouquets, for weddings as well as gifting item is always in trend
- Aloe Vera Plantation: Aloe Vera is basically a tropical plant but the good thing about this plant is that, it can be cultivated in dry farming lands as well. Aloe Vera is a profitable business idea because its medicinal value makes it a highly saleable agriculture product. It can be consumed as well as applied externally. It has lots of vitamins and minerals that are good for heart, immune system, digestion, skin ailments and many more.
Aloe Vera crop is most suitable if your farming land is in a dry area where the climate is mostly warm and humid. This plant doesn’t require much rainfall and doesn’t grow is cold regions. Light sandy type of soil is absolutely befitting for the plantation of aloe Vera agriculture crops.
Aloe Vera plants are best suited for selling globally to the-
- Herbal industry
- Pharma companies
- Bamboo Plantation: Bamboos mostly grow in the hilly areas. This is why we most often see bamboo farming in the mountains. The immense uses of bamboos plants have made it a successful business choice for several entrepreneurs. There is no way you can fail with bamboo farming plan as there are always buyers inclined to purchase the raw product and process it to use in various form.
Some of the uses of bamboo plants may be listed as follows-
- Bamboos are strong and flexible. Thus, a very useful construction product. Be it to build roofs, floors, fences etc.
- They are utilized to build various interior decoration items
- Furniture made from bamboo plants are a modern trend
- Best writing papers are made from bamboo fiber
- Various types of musical instruments are also made using bamboos
- Tender Bamboo tips are used in cooking
- Several infectious diseases can be cured through the medicine made from bamboo plants
- In Asia, the chopsticks being used, are mostly made of bamboo
The huge number of uses makes bamboo plantation a very rewarding business.
- Coffee & Tea Plantation: Tea and coffee are two drinks that are very popular globally. So, with coffee and tea plantation you can extend your business and earn huge benefits through export. Coffee and tea plantation requires a suitable soil and good amount of rainfall. The rains and dry season must be well defined so that there can be a growing season and a maturing season. You can plan to directly sell the tea leafs and coffee beans or choose to sell the processed product. With the basic plantation and harvesting techniques learnt, and equipped with the processing tools, machinery and staff, you can make flourishing business out of tea and coffee farming.
Get in touch with the tea manufacturing industries, restaurants and cafeterias where there is a constant demand for tea leaves and coffee beans.
- Cocoa Farming: Take your love for chocolates a step further! Plan on beginning a cocoa agriculture business. It can prove to be a flourishing enterprise. Chocolate is a favorite not only among kids but among all age groups. Relished across the globe, cocoa farming can be hugely profitable agriculture prospect. You can earn huge capital income by exporting the produced cocoa from your farming area.
Cocoa is grown mostly in humid tropical region. Its beans are extracted for cocoa solids and cocoa butter. So, in order to begin farming cocoa trees in your land, you first must ensure you have an agriculture land in a humid area, or plan to buy some area. Once you have the suitable soil you can begin with your cocoa plantation business.
- To satisfy chocolate lovers delight, cocoa is added in all sorts of foods, beverages and even fragrances.
- Dark chocolates, chocolate ice-cream, cakes, muffin, cookies, various sweets, deserts, etc., are found everywhere.
- Spas & beauty parlors too use cocoa in their beauty therapies as it’s very good for skin.
- Chocolate consumption is a very delicious and easy way to counter bouts of stress & depression.
So, you have a farming soil and climate suitable for growing cocoa; prepare yourself to turn your passion into a agriculture business venture. Cocoa crops can land for hundreds of years. So follow the proper methods of farming and you can be very rich soon.
- Lettuce Plantation: Lettuce has become a very popular farming vegetable for its fresh flavor.
Restaurants add it to their salads, burgers, sides, etc. as consumers enjoy the crunchy fresh texture of this leafy vegetable.Additionally, the health benefits in lettuce have also made it a favorite among those fit and active person who are always on the look-out to incorporate healthy greens to their daily meal.
Lettuce can be grown in several types of farming soils. Mostly, it is suitable to grow in soils rich in organic matter. The best soils for lettuce are those that can contain good quality of water and also have well made drainage system. As far as the temperature goes, lettuce grows well in fairly cool weather, about 15 degree Celsius. If your business farming space is in a slightly warmer land, you can grow lettuce crops by building a shade. You can go for a soil test before beginning to work on the farming area.
Lettuce crops cannot be stored for a longer period. So, keep connected with nearest markets and eateries. After harvesting the lettuce, you must sell them fresh. Lettuce farming is a rewarding business idea for start-ups.
- Fruit Plantation: Various types of fruits are consumed around the globe. You may opt to begin farming any type of fruit that suits the land and climate of your particular region. When the soil is befitting only then you will get a productive yield out of which you can gain revenue.
Peaches, exotic fruits, papaya, berries, mangoes, apples, jackfruit, oranges etc., are some fruit types. You can grow any of these fruits or any other for your agriculture business endeavor depending on your soil suitability. Most fruits are used for making juices, added to cuisines, incorporated in meals as fruit salads, and beauty treatments. Since fruits can be consumed raw you may plan to market and export them immediately after you harvest the produce. You may build processing equipments to make fruit juices and pack them to sell them anywhere in the world.
Fruits contain various healthy & healing ingredients. Hence, maximum nutritionists & doctors suggest children, adults and the elderly; to consume fruits regularly. The fruit agriculture business is an opportunity you must definitely try out.
- Palm Tree Cultivation: This is the crop that gives the most quantity of oil. Due to it high yielding capacity palm tree farming is considered a money-spinning business idea. If you intend to earn on a monthly basis through agriculture business then palm tree cultivation is the best choice for your start-up venture.
Deep, moist and well-drained soils are best suited for farming palm trees. This particular crop requires a humid tropical climate. Throughout the year an even amount of rainfall is essential. When every aspect is satisfactory for palm tree farming then you should start off with it at the earliest.
Palm tree plantation and selling of the palm oils, can aid you to cut down the sale of other oils , in turn enhancing the sale of your business. Those oils that are imported are costly for the local market, thus your palm oil will sell more. It is a win-win situation for both you as well as your buyers. Thus, your business will flourish.
- Cotton & Wool Production: Textile firms need wool and cotton at all times. They need it constantly for manufacturing various types of cloths. Therefore, it’s a lucrative business idea for any entrepreneur.
Cotton flower and sheep give cotton and wool respectively. So for cotton crop cultivation you need a suitable land. There may be some basic agriculture methods to be followed, certain tools and apparatus required. Of course you have to invest at the onset but after harvest you can make high business gains from your sales. You can also opt to rear sheep and get wool from them.
An advantageous factor of cotton flower and wool is that you can export them easily. There is not much critical process attached to attain the cotton from flowers and the wool is just shaved off the sheep. Furthermore, unlike fruits and vegetable, cotton and wool can be stored for as longer time span and exported to far-off countries as they do not get damaged. Thus you can plan to earn good capital by national and global export of your cotton and wool.
- Rubber Production: Rubber, a stretchy materiel, is in huge demand in the market. This crop plantation can prove to be very rewarding. The innumerable items made from rubber makes it a very suitable farming product as it is sale-able in the worldwide market. For instance- Tires, Bags, etc are made from rubber.
Rubber plants cannot grow in extremely windy and freezing temperature. It needs 5-7 hrs of sunlight per day and adequate rainfall. Porous farming soil which is somewhat acidic having well-drainage is best suited for rubber plantation.
Rubber trees when taken proper care can survive for generations. So, this is a good agriculture business investment indeed.
- Cattle Ranch: A very common and popular livestock raising business that includes animals such as cows, calves, ox, donkeys, bulls, etc., are known as a cattle ranch. You can choose to breed a single type of animal or several ones depending on the capital and land you have. It is best to start off with a single type of animal and slowly progress to rearing more types in your farming area. Actually, each type of animal needs to be well taken care of, with the proper food and hygiene maintained in your farming space.
Cattles are reared for multiple purposes, milk, manure, skin, as well as meat. Having a cattle ranch can instantly place you in the international business market if the quality of milk, meat and manure supplied by you if of good quality. With high sales and recognition in the global market you can easily gain huge profits and grow your agriculture business.
- Shrimp Business: If you plan to own a land near the coastal region, or rent a riverside area, you can earn cash through shrimp farming. Earlier shrimp was farmed in a smaller quantity, but the rapid growth of consumption worldwide has turned it into a large scale global industry.
Shrimp is high in protein and contains anti-oxidants. A favorite among a large group of people, this is marketed in bulk in several countries. Japan, US, Thailand and China are some countries where shrimp farming is done is large quantity. You can definitely give shrimp farming a shot as success is guaranteed.
- Saffron Cultivation: This costly spice is actually very easy to grow in any type of farming area. The reason for saffron being so pricey is the extensive toil that goes into harvesting the crop. Only a few strands of saffron are acquired from a flower.
Saffron is mostly used in cooking, creating beautiful fragrances and in cosmetic products. If you have a fertile agriculture soil suitable for saffron cultivation and reside in a sub-tropical warm region then saffron is the spice you must opt to cultivate in your farming area.
You can market it across the whole world. This expensive spice can churn huge money.
- Rosemary Cultivation: Rosemary shrub can be cultivated across the world. It is best suited for region with cool temperatures. It can also handle frost. You can harvest rosemary 2 times per year. It depends on whether you want to harvest it for the leaves or the oil.
Rosemary is most famous for its oils. It has high commercial value for its medicinal and herbal properties. This is a lucrative business idea and if you reside in a cold region then get a soil test done and you can start off your rosemary cultivation.
How to Start Agriculture Business
Do you hold the perception that starting an agriculture business is plowing the land and reaping vegetables? You are wrong! The land and the produce are only a part of the agriculture business. There is a wide range of other stuff.
Agriculture, in short is the making of various goods, food, feed and feed through natural cultivation. It encompasses every type of plant and animal farming such as grazing and processing domestic animals, nurturing orchards and vineyards, and so on. Agriculture business is basically churning money out of an agricultural venture. Those business endeavors that do very well in this arena entail various amounts of paperwork, conventions and formal procedures. Additionally, you will feel the need to educate yourself about the multiple laws with regards to the-locality, environment and tax.
In case you wish to start a small agriculture business, there may be several questions going on in your mind. Where to begin with and how to go about the entire process can be quite confusing. To assist you in starting your agriculture business we have listed a step by step process, to give you an overall idea about how you should go about and start your agriculture business.
Step A: Plan out Everything Beforehand
- Build a Plan: Some people jump on to purchasing the land first, instead its advice-able to first crafts a business plan. Pen down a strategic note on how you are going to operate.
- Jot down all your targets- private as well as business related. Write your current position, and set a goal which you aim to achieve. Along with your goal, write the points on how you plan to achieve it.
- Next prepare a SWOT analysis. It basically covers the entrepreneur and his/her farm’s (land you intend to start working on or will buy) positive aspects, negative aspects, prospects and challenges.
- Calculate an overall farm budget: There are a lot of expenditure such as land, tools, etc., that you must include in your budget before starting your farm to get a good idea of your total expense. The land rates vary demanding on the location, so you ought to check your preferred area’s land rates. Tools too can cost a huge sum. A tip for cost-cutting is to purchase/rent used-tools.
- Estimate your monetary hold at the onset: A major setback faced by several entrepreneurs that lead to even shutting down the agriculture business is that they do not calculate their monetary state beforehand. Every year, farming calls for a bulk investing capital in order to smoothly run the business. Other than the tools and land rent/purchase expenses, there are other expenses/year as listed below-
- Machine fuel and maintenance: You will need to buy fuel to run various farming machines. This machinery will also need maintenance from time to time.
- Buying Fertilizers and seeds: Both of these play a vital role in production of crops. A part of the capital goes into purchasing these per year.
- Chemicals: Each year chemicals are to be bought and sprayed in crops to safeguard them from getting destroyed by weeds, various insects or diseases.
- Electricity bills: Round the year, power consumption in using electric water pumps, and various other agricultural equipments, personal room lights etc. will bring a dozen bills which have to be paid regularly.
- Save Beforehand or Get a job: Quitting your job with the perception that you will get you 100% time in farming is not a smart move. A start-up agriculture business has a lot of expenses coming up every now and then. Money is earned through business farming only after a span of time, after the crop produce are sold. So, to pay for the daily, weekly or monthly agricultural expenses, you need to have day job or work and save enough beforehand, to support your farming business.
Step B: Understanding the Farming Land and Climatic Conditions
- Study the farming area and the environment: It is very essential that you seriously understand the soil type and the seasonal atmospheric chances of your chosen land for farming. Depending on study you will be able to purchase the suitable seeds and sow the crops as per the season. Thus produce the best quality crops and be successful in your business.
- Analyze the land’s topographical facets: This will give you further idea on which animals to raise or which crops are best for plantation in your farming space. For instance: Those land areas that are either flat or are rolling gently are befitting for cultivation of crops. On the other hand, hilly terrains are apt for raising livestock.
- Get a Soil Sample testing done: In order to determine your farming area’s soil type and know its quality there are laboratories where you can send a soil sample. All you need to do is dig a little pit in your land and collect some soil and send it to a soil testing lab center. They will give you results as to whether the type of soil is sandy, silt, clay or a mixture of multiple soil types. For the quality details, they tell whether the soil contains any organic matter, has carbon, what sort of nutrients (sulphur, phosphorus, potassium, nitrogen, etc.), are present. Moreover, such tests also determine the soil horizon depths. This is significant information to the crop cultivators as the first horizon has all the nutrients which are collected by crops/plant via the roots.
Forage analysis: Along with the soil testing get this done too. This analysis is especially for those lands which were precisely utilized only for hay and pasture.
Note: Soil sampling is must. Do it before purchasing or renting a land. If the results are not satisfactory then it is best to go and find some other land for farming. There is no use in growing crops in a land that does not have nutritious soil. Because, no matter how much effort or investments you make, you won’t get high quality fruits and vegetables and ultimately your business will suffer loss.
- Vegetation: If your focus is only on plantation of crops then you need not take note of the wild vegetation you see growing in the nearby grazing land. Also, if you aren’t going to raise animals then you can conveniently ignore the vegetation you see growing by the roads. Your sole concentration should be on the crops that would be most suitable in your chosen farming area. To find out whether your land is befitting to cultivate the luscious golden corns, have apple orchards or for planting strawberry bushes interact to the nearby farm owners. Visiting surrounding farm lands and speaking to the owners and farmers will give you fair information about the soil, the crops that grow well and also the climatic conditions.
- The vegetation covering your farming area’s adjoining lands is significant for raising farm animals. The pasture land needs to be rich with a variety of plants that can give your farm animals the protein and nutrients. Scan the nearby areas thoroughly for all types of growing plantation in the wild, bordering the farm, on the outer reaches, the terrains as well as the in the neighboring fields used for farming or grazing.
- Look out for weeds. A weed can be found both in crop growing lands as well as in pasture fields. In order to keep a watch on whether there are weeds growing in your land you need to first learn about detecting weed plants. Additionally, before starting with your farming, you need to be ready to tackle weeds so that they do not destroy your crops.
- Directly speak up with the land owner & other farmers: Those who inherit land property usually have the basic knowledge about farming the suitable variety of crops and raising the selective animals. If you are purchasing a land, then you better strike a conversation with the land owner and other farmers to acquire all the valid pointers regarding farming. For instance, they will guide you the plants and crops that grow best in that soil, the time and season that they sow those plant seeds, exactly when and how they sprayed the disinfectants on the plantation or crops and also the right time to harvest the crops.
- Check Weather Reports: Visit an agricultural office in your locality or your state/country. Go through all the climatic reports that have been recorded over the last decade precisely to the area in which you opt to start your farming business. The challenge you will face is that, you might find too much information making it tough for you to focus on what exactly you need to see and what all you must skip. In such situation, you might take the help of a person who knows how to read the weather reports. He/she will be able to filter the necessary data that can help you in your farm business.
Note: If you know the area well enough, you may not need to necessary check the reports before starting your business farm. Moreover, speak to the land owner and the neighboring farmer first; then go check the weather records.
- Delve into your area’s climatic history: Climate plays a vital role in the crop cultivation business. Every type of crop, plants, bushes, or tress; grow only in a particular seasons. The cultivator is responsible to fulfill certain tasks on time before the change of season occurs. If the task isn’t successfully completed in time, then season change will cause a challenge and your effort will go down the drain.
- Certain essential climatic factors that can affect plantation of crops positively or negatively must be checked beforehand. These are the average rainfall round the year, flood, storms, snow, draught, and so on.
- Even if you know your plantation area, dig deeper and check for more data before starting your agriculture business. It will help you.
Step C: Capital
- Building and demolishing: A farm requires some appropriate buildings. The land you own or purchase may not have all the required buildings. In that case you will have to build according to your crop plantation requirements. Again, there is also the possibility that the farm have unusable and old buildings in poor condition. Such constructions that cannot be repaired have to be removed and rebuild as per your farm plan and design.
- Be it any kind of farming you opt for: fruits, crops, vegetables or any other, ensure that you have all the required machines. There are machines for seed plantation, machinery for looking after the cultivated crops, and harvesting. Purchase and set them up prior to starting your business.
- If you opt for raising animals like cows, goat, sheep, buffalo, pigs, chickens, ducks etc. in your farm then along with building you ought to construct other things too. You will need proper fencing around your farm, adequate water provision, feeding and also apt handling facilities. You would obviously want to repair and change the existing fencing, and also renovate the pasture fields. Most often due to lack of proper management over the years, the wildlife habitat in the close-buy areas degrades. You may work on it and improve the area. When all this is done you business will start and run prosperously.
Step D: Educate, Take Responsibility and Be Prepared
- Educate yourself about crops and fertilizers: You need to learn about the best crops that will grow adequately in your farm and reward you. Also, educate yourself about all the available fertilizers, the new as well as the tried and tested ones. Know about pest controlling agents and herbicides to cultivate your crops like experienced farmers. Carry on with your farming and keep educating yourself in each and every step.
- While buying animals select them sensibly: Learn about the correct time to buy animals. There are good animals and also diseased ones. For your livestock business you need to choose your animals very skillfully. If you have no experience in buying animals; then it is best that you tag an expert along with you to assist you in buying the healthiest ones that can prove advantageous for business.
Again, if you choose to have a breeding herd in your farm business, don’t end up purchasing animals in pair (one male and one female). One male can serve up to several females. For instance: 1 bull is enough for about 45 – 50 cows. 1 buck/ram is enough for about 25 females. If you have just a couple of cows then you can opt to rent a bull or select artificial insemination. This is applicable for almost all livestock animals.
- Be ready for unexpected occurrences: Do not panic if you face any unexpected challenges in your agriculture business. Sudden hurdles come in the way of all types of businesses. Just follow your business plan. Carry out everything as per your preparation. Be flexible and review your plan now and then. Make amendments wherever needed. This will surely make your business turn into a flourishing one.
Hopefully, the above listed pointers will aid you somewhat on how to start agriculture business. Still if you seek further assistance, you can reach OGS Capital and speak to our experts. Our professionals will help you in every way possible to transform your business ideas into reality.
Illustrative business plan samples
OGSCapital’s team has assisted thousands of entrepreneurs with top-rate business plan development, consultancy and analysis. They’ve helped thousands of SME owners secure more than $1.5 billion in funding, and they can do the same for you.